Guides on how to administer an SGI `Indy'
SGI has announced that support for the Indy and Indigo lines will be dropped, even from their main support web site, from July 2003. For this reason, even though I do not own an SGI system any more, I will continue to post these guides as long as people find them useful.
- Backing up the system disk
- Setting up and configuration
- Configuring Sundry advice for Indy administrators.
- `inn' NNTP news server on IRIX 6.2
- Installing Microsoft's `FrontPage Server Extensions' for Netscape's 'Communications' Server under IRIX 6.2 and Netscape's 'Fasttrack' Server under IRIX 6.5.
- Installing Apache web server v 1.3.12, MySQL v 3.22.21, PHP v 3.0.16 and Microsoft's 'FrontPage2000 Server Extensions' on an Indy running IRIX 6.5.8
- Installing the 'Samba' 'smb' server using the current version. Installing 'libdes' password encryption for earlier versions of `Samba'.
- Installing POP and IMAP mail server on a SGI Indy under IRIX 6.5.
- `ppp' connection to enable modem PPP phone connections, using an Hayes 28.8 modem.
- Printer configuration: install Hewlett Packard 'LaserJet III' and Tektronix 'Phaser 740 Plus' printers.
- How to ensure that your Indy shows the correct timezone: TimeZone in IRIX 6.*
- How to ensure that your Indy shows the correct time: `ntpd' time correction on IRIX 6.5*
- How to set up 'ssh1' and 'ssh2' on an Indy. These are secure replacements for 'telnet'.
Return to the 'home page'
Return to the `Computing index page'